A Madaraka Express Passenger Service ticket is only valid for travel on the date, time and on the train displayed on the ticket. No open dated tickets will be issued. If you board any train other than the one specified on your ticket you will have to pay the full fare applicable to the train and class in which you are travelling with a 30% of the ticket cost penalty. A refund may be available on the original ticket held depending on the ticket type and will be subject to the Refund policy. Madaraka Express Passenger Service tickets are ONLY sold by us via the channels indicated herein. If a ticket is resold or transferred for profit or other commercial gain, it will become invalid and the holder may be refused access to the Madaraka Express Passenger Service train.
Breaking a journey at Intermediate stations
Stop-overs enroute are not permitted. If you break your journey, you will not be entitled to continue it later and your ticket will stand annulled.
If you travel to a station different to that specified on the ticket
If you wish to use your ticket for a station other than the one for which it is valid, you will have to pay the appropriate full fare for the additional portion of the journey plus a 30% surcharge.
Your ticket is not transferrable
Madaraka Express Passenger Service tickets are made out in a passenger’s name and are non-transferable. The tickets can only be used by the person whose name is indicated on the ticket. During travel, access to Madaraka Express Passenger Service is only granted to the passenger whose details appear on the ticket. Passengers must therefore provide valid proof of identity, as well as the identity for those for whom a particular passenger is responsible for. The name of the Identification documents must match the name on the ticket. Madaraka express reserve the right to check the identity documents of passengers and may refuse to carry any passenger and their baggage where they have refused or are unable to provide valid proof of their identity. In such circumstances a refund or exchange is not applicable.
Withdrawal of Tickets
Madaraka Express Passenger Service tickets remains to be their property and if you fail in any material respect to comply with any condition governing its use, your ticket may be withdrawn or invalidated by the staff. If a ticket is withdrawn or invalidated by a staff, you will be denied permission to travel and/or continue your journey and no refunds will be issued for any used portion of your ticket.
The SGR staff may retain tickets for audit purposes. If they do this, they will provide you with replacement tickets or receipts as appropriate.
Have a valid Passport/Identification Card with you when you travel
You are also responsible for ensuring that you are in possession of an Identification Card (ID) or other valid identification documents when you travel. If you attempt to travel without an ID or other necessary Identification documents, you may not be allowed to board the train.
Ticket Inspection Onboard
Tickets must be shown and/or handed over upon request to a member of the GSR Train staff. They also reserve the right to require you provide appropriate personal identification upon demand. If you fail to do so, we may either:
- Charge you on the basis of the full fare applicable to the train, journey and
class in which you are travelling; or
- Deny you permission to travel and/or continue your journey and issue no
refund for any used portion of your ticket. You must hold a valid ticket throughout your entire journey, retain your ticket until leaving the destination station and keep it available for inspection at all times.
Cancelations and Rescheduling of Tickets
Cases where a passenger desires to change his/her travel, the following rescheduling and refund procedure shall be observed:
- Cancelling of tickets should be done forty-eight (48) hours or more before the departure time indicated on the ticket.
- In order to cancel a ticket, one must provide the original identification documents and a photocopy of the same.
- Refunds shall be subject to the customer paying a 30% fee of the fare.
- Cancellations/refunds are done over the counter at the nearest Madaraka Express Passenger Service station.
- Requests for a refund will be rejected in cases where the tickets are damaged (unrecognizable)
- Tickets should be rescheduled forty-eight (48) hours or more before the departure time indicated on the ticket.
- Rescheduling of tickets is done using the details provided during the initial booking instance i.e. same class, same service, same person).
- Tickets are rescheduled over the counter at the nearest Madaraka Express Passenger Service station.
- Rescheduling a ticket will attract a 10% fee of the fare.
- A ticket can only be rescheduled once and cannot be refunded.
- Replacing a lost ticket will attract a 30% fee of the lost ticket upon verification of details provided during the initial booking