Gede Ruins Day Tour Description
The ruins of Gede are a testament to the bustling Swahili town that stood prior in the 12th century. Fast forward several centuries and you’ll find a new incarnation, with town walls rising up during the 15th and 16th centuries.
Located in Kilifi district of Coast Province, Gede is situated 16 km south from Malindi Town and 90 km north-east of Mombasa – but it’s actually its own destination too! Home to many locals, it was at its most wealthy during the 15 mosques, palace and residential buildings spread across 45 acres.
Today this historic site has been taken care of by National Museums of Kenya who have ensured its preservation. But even more than an archaeological site, Gede continues to be an important place for traditional rituals and sacrifices for those living nearby – so much so that on 12/06/70 it was declared a National Monument (Gazette Notice Number 1688).
|GEDE RUINS MUSEUM
|TOURING THE MUSEUM
- Masai Cultural Experience @30pp
G.D Means Game Drive
N/A Means Not Applicable
Gede Ruins Day Tour Itinerary
Experience the history of Gede Ruins on a tour that will take you back to over 900 years ago. As your knowledgeable guide, We’ll bring this Arab-Swahili settlement and its fascinating secrets to life with wittiness and fun-filled knowledge. You’ll learn about the town’s medieval civilisation, original Swahili lifestyle and economy, making it an experience you won’t forget! Let us show you why Gede Ruins is one of our nation’s treasured heritage sites – I’m sure you’re going to love it!
Best time to start the tour is 9:00am. Pick up with about 30 minutes drive to the place.
– At the Gede Ruins, we will study the map of the location and accompanied by a local guide there, we go through it to enjoy learning the history of the area.
– After the tour, we will enjoy a meal with the touch of Swahili culture in Malindi town.
– Then, back to our starting point.
This tour can be customized based on your request.
Safari Cost Include the following:
- All park entrance fees
- Drinking water for use during trip
- Services of an English-speaking experienced driver guide
- Transport to and from Gede Ruins
- Flying doctors air ambulance evacuation in case of a life-threatening accident or injury